How To Order
Lesotho is a small, landlocked mountainous country in Southern Africa.
It is an agro based economy, which among other things produces excellent
mohair products for the export market.
A business plan for a weaving gallery was formulated in 1956 by a group of
volunteers to train and create jobs for members of the community who were
unemployed with the aim of taking advantage of the abundant availability of
mohair in the country. In 1970, John Boyd Tully and Gillian Gage, pioneers of
the weaving gallery registered it as a corporate body known as Tully Crafts
Limited. Following the retirement of John Tully in 1978, the name of the project
changed to T.Y. Handicrafts Limited. The ownership was transferred in 1990 to
Patrick Glackin and Anna Glackin from Ireland who had a very keen interest in
supporting the community they lived in. Under the auspices of the Glackins the
project enjoyed such tremendous success that the name was changed to Setsoto
Design. ’Setsoto’ is a local word in the Sesotho language that denotes admiration.
Setsoto design therefore literally means ‘admirable designs’ or a place of admiration.
This name has become a symbol of the gallery. Indeed, it is a place of admiration
because from a humble beginning it is now known to be the oldest, largest and best
weaving gallery in southern Africa. Various awards conferred by the South Africa Wool
Association in 1987 and 1988 as best in the wool craft industry category attest to this fact.